Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Batch 16 - Seattle Style Bitter

Another recipe modified from The Cellar Homebrew, my local brew shop.

  • 6 lbs light malt extract

  • 1 lb amber dry malt

  • 1 lb german light crystal malt

  • 1.5 oz chinook hops (mine were 14.3%) for 60 min

  • 1.5 oz cascade hops (mine were 6.3%) for 5 min

  • American Ale II yeast (saved from previous batch)


Regular extract brewing process here. The Cellar calls "Bitter Lake Bitter", a version of an English Ale, modified for the Seattle style. They predict an OG of 1.053-1.059.

The yeast was saved from my primary bucket of my last batch. How I do this is just shake the bucket a bit after I've transferred the wort to secondary, and pour the trub into 3 clean, sanitized bottles. I fill the bottles only about 1/2 full to leave plenty of head space in case they keep fermenting. I cap them, and put them in the refrigerator (opening the caps a little every few weeks to make sure pressure isn't building up).

9/19 Update: Transferred to secondary.

FG: 1.012
Brewed: 9/4/05
Bottled: 10/22/05
Status: Bottled

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home