Thursday, July 21, 2005

Batch 14 - Hefeweizen



Recipe modified from The Cellar Homebrew.

Ingredients:
  • 6 lbs wheat malt extract

  • 1 lb german light crystal malt

  • 1 lb german wheat malt

  • 1 oz hallertauer hops

  • 3333 German wheat yeast, saved in bottle from last batch



I started with about 2 gallons of tap water, and added grains in a bag. I heated this to a boil, and removed heat for 10 minutes. I then strained grains and rinsed with another gallon of hot tap water. I added the extract, and stirred as the extract came back up to a boil. I added the hops, and waited an hour.

I then cooled the pot in an ice water filled sink, removed the hops, poured into my primary bucket, and rinsed hops with enough cold water to make 5 gallons. I then aerated the wort and pitched the yeast.

7/22/05: Bubbling away, about once per second. I pitched at about 80F, and it's down to 74.

7/24/05: Still bubbling a few times per minute. Temperature is now down to 69 (basement temp at 68).

7/29/05: Transferred to secondary carboy. Looks and smells like a hefeweizen. Basement temp and beer temp at 72F.

8/7/05: Bottled. Tasted a bit - I haven't had a German hefe before, so I'm not sure what to expect. Much different than the American hefe's I've had - I think I'll have to wait for the carbonated version to be sure if I like it.

Pitched: 7/21/05
Bottled: 8/7/05
Status: bottled, waiting for it to carbonate
OG: 1.041
FG: 1.014
ABV: 3.5%
Results: 8/21/05 Wow, certainly much different from what I'm used to. Fairly strong of bananna and clove (at least I assume. I'm still working on my pallete, but it smells fruity and spicy). Definately much more flavor than the hefe's I'm used to - they must be American hefe's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home